Sunday, July 10, 2011

General fencing fitness regime

I have been looking for some general fitness regime recently which could enhance my speed and agility and tone the muscles. I was never a sporty person appart from some regular swimming but the truth is that the muscles you use in fencing are different from the ones you use in cycling for example, so there's only one thing that really improves fencing fitness and that is ...fencing! Well sadly it isn't possible for me to fence three or four times during a week, which I think goes for most amateur fencers. So I searched and I found! Golden advice from a member of the fencing forum. So here it is:

1. Footwork with nicely bent knees - guess I had to say that didn't I...
2. Squats without weights - 20 - thighs just below knees but not all the way down. Feet flat on the ground, back straight and head up. As you build strength do more sets of 20 - up to 4.
3. Push ups - you have to have fast arm speed and hold an epee [??] up for quite a bit. Minimum 10. Progress to clapping push ups when you can do 20 regular. You too girls.
4. A short jog interspersed with 25 metre sprints. Say a kilometre with say 6 sprints. Add sprints when your fitness increases.
5. Rope skipping if you have the space - otherwise C.L. Beaumont's exercise of going down on the balls of your feet, then spring up as high as you can. Ten of them without undue pause - more sets as you strengthen up.
6. Sit ups. Fencing strengthens your back, but does nothing for your stomach. Some crunches and the plank are good to support the core back muscles.
7. Stretch in front of the TV. Hold 3/4 stretches for 15 minutes. E.g. with the balls of your feet up on a telephone book for calves. Also splits (all ways), butterfly, glutes and hamstrings. Holding 3/4 for a long time lets the muscle relax and lengthen naturally.


I have also read that yoga ( not yoda) can contribute lots to fencers. I will try to do some of these things during the holidays although I'm sooo undisciplined and lazy too.
Oh what am I going to do during August/September with no fencing classes? *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment