Thursday, July 7, 2011

Training a chick

I'm glad to realise now how at first I was fencing like a ninja turtle on crack^^ I started in the university students' beginners team and we didn't really do all the proper drills right from the beginning. I'm so glad to be taught by a hungarian coach during the last two months, he is harsh and demands discipline but he always has a rewarding word at the end of the training-session which  makes me want to become better and motivates me. I realised how many things I had been doing wrong. So here are some of my coach's suggestions:

  • Keep the elbow in, close to the body.
  • Mind the position of the legs, the toes of the front leg should be looking dead straight ahead, otherwise it's easy to lose your balance during a lunge.
  • The back leg during a lunge should be as straight as it gets, no bending of the knee while the sole of the foot doesn't leave the ground!
  • For a lunge first extend the arm then go forth with the legs!
  • Keep the left arm (if you are righthanded) in the air, it looks kind of silly but really improves the position! And also when you extend it during a lunge not only does it help you to go further but it also helps you to stay in balance!
To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment